Friday, August 11, 2017

Emma's Roses



I am showing the sequence of stages that this painting took as it developed.  After drawing the main layout from a photo, I masked some highlights in the hair and the main flower.

I applied a very watery golden wash to the entire paper and let it dry.  Then I added some more masking to save some of the yellow background color in her hair.

I began to lay in the main skin tones.







                                                                                                       



The second photo shows laying in  ore mid tones for the dress, hair and flowers.


I was able to remove the masking after this stage as I was finished with large areas and ready to focus on only the details.
















Finally I added the necessary darks to her hair, flowers and foliage and some shadows.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe that you do all this with watercolors!!! Thanks for posting, love them all. Your the queen of watercolors! 💟 👑

    ReplyDelete